Handcycle Training for Disney Princess 5k, Day 1


It has been almost 19 years now since I had run my last run. I have watching races on television, and attended them in person, and each time that I am a spectator of my passion, I yearn to get out there and pound the pavement beneath me with each stride. On occasion, a twinge of anger and a wave of melancholy washes over me, until today. I found a passion where I can race, and eventually compete in, like decades ago. 

A few months ago, I had discovered that my most favorite place on Earth (Disney World), held numerous races throughout the year. I own a stationary handcycle in my basement, where I cycle about three miles a day, approximately three days per week. At the time, I did not own a handcycle for the roads, but I knew somehow deep down that I could train for a Disney race. I spotted the Disney Princess Marathon Weekend, and knew in my heart, that I had to complete the Disney Princess 5k. I envisioned wearing a cute, sporty Disney-related outfit (probably Sleeping Beauty detailed for my daughter, Aurora), and cycling utilizing a pink handcycle. I made arrangements to meet with someone to assist me in testing out handcycles, and found one that I was comfortable with. Naturally, I chose mine to be hot pink. Ideal for a Disney Princess 5k. 

While I waited for my handcycle to be built and delivered, I wanted to continue working out, and wished for attire to motivate me, to get to my destined race. I found the most perfect Disney leggings on Main St. Bella’s website, so I knew this was all going to come to fruition.
Shortly after my hot pink handcycle arrived, I slipped on my “Wishes and Dreams” leggings for my first day of training. They were so soft and comfortable, and fit perfectly with my brace that I have to wear. I felt sporty and sexy, which I had not felt in a long time. The title “Wishes and Dreams” goes hand in hand with my aspirations to complete this race, and not only is it a dream, but a wish that I know will come true. 

Day 1: I hit the road with my husband, youngest sister, and three children: Gus, Luca, (Skywalker) and Aurora. Yes, I love everything Disney that much, whereas I named my children after Disney characters. I could not believe that this was the first step toward my Princess dream race, but it was hard. Like extreme fatigue, burning arms, cannot hold your upper extremities above your head kind of hard. Completing my stationary handcycle workout was a drastic difference from performing rigorously on the roads. I compare it to running on a  treadmill for months then climbing Cardiac Hill for the first time. (Cardiac Hill was a challenging hill I ran up with my former trackies during my Cross Country years.) As a former runner, I was familiar with the languor and arduous work that goes into training for a race, but this kind of feeling of tuckered out was on a whole other level. I felt as if the scrawny muscles in my arms could not compare to my legs that used to effortlessly sprint me from one place to another. After some minor inclines, and some downhills that I was too afraid to take advantage of, I had made it a half mile. 800 meters of giving it my all. 3.1 miles seemed quite daunting, and almost out of reach. I tried not being discouraged, and took solace in knowing that I have many months to attain my goal of making my “wishes and dreams” come true. 

Comments

  1. Love this!!

    “Don’t just fly, soar” -Dumbo (one of my faves)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore it!! Thank you, Meghan!! Perfect Disney reference! 💖

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much!! I appreciate you reading it!

      Delete
  3. You've got this.... you have SUCCESSFULLY completed MANY more "seemingly impossible" races! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ♥️ I truly appreciate you reading and encouraging each step of the way!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Differently-Abled Momma

"How I Wasted My Education"