Autumnal Winds Rolling In...

As the Autumnal Equinox is now upon us, so is the commencement of my training schedule. The weather is breezier, and so is the boardwalk. I have been following “week 1” of what is considered the beginning of 5k training, and I think that I am on point. I have been practicing all summer on and off, but with the heat, a damper was put on my consistency. Now that is is slightly cooler and the kids are in school, I can dedicate a few days a week to really putting in the miles on my handcycle. And when I mean miles, I mean like 2... 2.5, if I am having a superb day like yesterday.

Like I had stated, with the change of the season, the winds have cranked it up a notch as well. The boardwalk has been so windy, that with each breeze, I have felt like I had been pedaling backward for hours. Thankfully, yesterday’s  weather conditions were perfect for me. It was slightly warm, no breeze (phew) and the sun was more bronzing than burning. I was optimistic that I was going to have a good workout, and made up my mind that I today was the day, that I was going to up my mileage from the single one to one and half miles that I was doing.

That bronzing sun had me sweating under my helmet, but it felt good, and I felt strong. I completed 2.5 miles at a 14 minute mile pace, which was great for now. As long as I’m not over 15 minutes a mile, I’ll be good to go. I cannot be “swept” off the course like a Fantasia broom for being too slow! That would be mortifying at a Disney Princess race. And would they really DQ a Princess in Disney? I’m certainly not taking my chances, because I want that medal! (Rumor has it, that the 5k is Moana themed this year.) After I proudly completed my 2.5 miles, with Jell-O arms, I attempted to take a couple of photos on the boardwalk, facing the bluffs. An older woman offered to be my photography assistant, and then continued jogging with me for a bit, so she could hear about my race more. Then like clockwork, I rushed to the bathroom where another sweet soul walked my fatigued self into the bathroom, and did not leave my side, until I left. I thank you, Kathy, for helping me on my most tired day, and for your enthusiasm and encouragement. These ladies definitely contributed to my perfect training conditions, and it’s beautiful to see people not only offering help, but cheering you on and providing that support to carry on. And of course I cannot forget my man cheerleader husband and Aurora for literally pushing me up the park entrance ramp. That little girl has strength like no other.

So the fall has fallen upon us, and I look forward to all of the training that this season has in store for me. I look forward to the crisp air, increased endurance and more miles. I am also looking forward meeting encouraging individuals on my journey, because they too, set the pace for that positive training.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handcycle Training for Disney Princess 5k, Day 1

A Differently-Abled Momma

"How I Wasted My Education"