“ Why I Tried to Highlight My Son’s Hair Purple”



                 I look at my sister’s hair, with her trendy hot pink streak for breast cancer awareness. “Glob more dye on mine!” I exclaim. The more purple, the better. October is also Domestic Violence Awareness month, and I wanted to raise awareness not only through my writing. My oldest son agreed that he wanted his hair to be purple like Mommy’s, so I was excited. He walked into the bathroom, and looked puzzled at what we were doing. Suddenly, he was changing his mind. “Pretty please!” I begged. He wouldn’t budge. So, I gave him a big wet kiss, and kindly asked him to play with his little brother, and nicely share with him while we finished up my purple highlights.
                “You tried to do what?!” someone asked me later on that evening. “Why on Earth would you do that to your son?” they continued. Why? In order to spread awareness, one sometimes has to do something a little out of the box. Besides, the dye washes out in a couple of hair washings. People may not fully notice or care if a woman’s hair is highlighted purple during Halloween time. However, if a child has colorful streaks, they may question why his coiffed hair is violet. In this case, I would want to explain that October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, and that I want to teach my sons to respect and not hurt others. I feel that my responsibility as a mom with two sons, is to teach my boys to not only never engage in any forms of abuse in their household, but also not commit acts of violence and hate toward to the rest of society. In addition, I would like to provide information and the much needed facts that people need to know about domestic violence.
Having counseled victims of domestic violence, I know how pertinent it is to raise awareness. I think back to a time when I spoke to a woman on the phone, and she was in need of a shelter. Sobbing, she told me how she just sought refuge at her elderly parent’s house. Tears streamed down my face as I thought of how your parents protect you as you grow, and sometimes have to continue doing so into late adulthood. Not only was she being physically abused by her partner, but she was also being mentally and financially abused. Many people are not aware of the fact that there are multiple forms of abuse: physical, verbal, emotional, mental, sexual and financial abuse. This is so very important to take with you, because one may think that is acceptable to be repeatedly told that they are stupid daily, and not have access to their bank account. A young woman or man may state, “But he or she is not hitting me.” Yet, they still constitute as forms of abuse.
From time to time I think about that phone call, and I even more often think about one particular woman, and wonder how she is today. She spoke very little English, and I spoke very little Spanish, but somehow we had the most amazing bond, and communication was never a problem. I gathered every piece of literature in Spanish I could get my hands on, and together, we increased each other’s vocabulary.  I saw her weekly, and every week she would tell me how she was growing more and more fearful of her husband. He had struck her on numerous occasions, but like many victims, she stated that she was dependent on him. I was one of the last counselors at the agency one evening, and she called me as I was out the door after facilitating a group. I looked at the clock- it was a quarter to seven. What did she need to tell me this late- was she canceling tomorrow’s session? She was under her bed with her daughter whispering to me that he husband came home violently, and that she feared for her and her daughter’s safety. I was on the phone for an hour, convincing her that she needed to take action right then and there. I gave her all of her options, and she chose to leave him. Later that week, she moved to another state to stay with family. My heart sank when she told me that she told her husband that she was moving, and taking their daughter with her. I was elated for her, but scared because a victim is at most risk when they leave, due to their abuser losing control over them. It can be a relieving but a dangerous time. On my last session with her, she brought me flowers and a card, and wanted me to meet her daughter, so they both could thank me. When I got home, I opened the card. It read, “Thank you for saving my life.”
So, making my hair purple, and attempting to do my son’s hair, has more meaning to it than showing off a fun color. I hope when people ask what it is for, I can relay some dire information.  And as for my sons-are they going to comprehend what domestic violence is at their age? No. But, I can start them off with the knowledge of how it is to share, and not hit when you are mad. Later on, I plan on moving onto anti bullying and respecting others. As a social worker, mother of two boys and simply a human being, I feel that the least I can do is teach my children to love and not hate. Making it a bit fun too, is an added bonus.
For addition information concerning domestic violence, please explore:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handcycle Training for Disney Princess 5k, Day 1

A Differently-Abled Momma

"How I Wasted My Education"