It's The Little Things In Life...



It’s The Little Things In Life…

I have always considered myself an appreciative person. I do not take anything or anyone in my life for granted. I enjoy the simplest things like catching the last bit of sunshine at the park before it turns dusk. I will also loquaciously speak about a superb dinner or trip for days on end. It goes without saying that I wish I could do some of the things I used to be able to do, or I sigh at the wish of wanting to do certain things with my children that are just not easy for me to accomplish. However, when I am capable of conquering one of those feats that have stood in my way for years, I relish in the moment, and boast to each person that I encounter that week; maybe month. It is usually something like, “I gave my kid a piggy-back ride without either one of us falling to the ground!” Or, “I got both boys dressed (socks and shoes included) in under five minutes flat!” It’s the little things in life that make me elated as can be.

I do not think that most parents ponder about the simplicity of perhaps taking their children from home, to the grocery store, and back. How about going on a play date, just you, your friend, and your children? Prior to this week, I have always needed assistance getting my children into the car, buckling them into their car seats, taking them out of their car seats, and walking with them to whatever destination I desired. I felt like I have always needed a chaperone, or person waiting for me at my destination to lug my kids out of the car for me. I would more than look forward to getting together with a girlfriend and her child, especially if they live out of state.  If we decide to meet somewhere before playing at my house, I would bashfully ask my husband if he would mind joining us, and apologize for the banter my friends and I would engage in. (Might I add that I secretly think he likes our conversations and craziness; wink, wink.) But, I would still feel like a high school kid being dropped off at the movies; just with kids of our own now. 

So, this past week when my husband and I dropped my son off at his little school program, I did not think that this day was going to be the day where I would fulfill one of those: “Oh my gosh I cannot believe I just did that,” sort of days. My husband was busy with school, work, and clients that would not leave his office. It was time to pick up my son, and any further stalling, would cause him to be picked up late. The poor boy was adjusting to being separated from us for three and a half hours. I pictured in my mind, him being in absolute dismay at us not picking him up, when all of the other kids were being happily whisked away by their parents. I yelled out into the wind, “I’m going to get him!” “Wait, am I really?” I thought. I have driven my children all around, but I had never made a complete voyage without any assistance whatsoever. 

I got into my car, which was parked in the garage, and clenched my Buckle Bopper. The Buckle Bopper is a device that one of my dearest friends, and occupational therapist, Stephanie, suggested I get to facilitate getting the boys out of their car seats. It is a rubber hand-shaped piece with a nub in the middle. You hold it over those red pesky car seat buttons, and push, until it easily unfastens the buckle. It saved me that day, and unleashed my independence. I drove to his little school excited but anxious. The little girl in my belly kicked about as if she were jumping on a trampoline.  Between my nerves and the baby kicks, I was sure my bladder was not going to hold out the whole ten minute drive. When I drove up and got out of the car, I saw his little face smushed up to the glass schoolroom, with the biggest grin on his face. I told him that he and I were going to go on an adventure. I packed him up for home, and he held onto my crutch as we left his school, and crossed the parking lot to my car. I opened the car door, and the little man gleefully leapt into his seat. I buckled him in, despite it taking two tries. His tiny little fingers helped me, and he was patient as could be. I thanked him for being such a good little boy, and know inside that he is going to grow up to be a caring and patient man. Even despite some of our obstacles, I know that I am at least doing something right. 

I drove off with a great big sigh of relief, knowing that the hard part was over. I decided to not make the dangerous left turn out of his school, and opted for making a right- hand turn. It is a slightly longer way home, but I like referring to it as the scenic route. My sweet boy and I spoke about his day at school, and I beamed from ear to ear seeing him in my rearview mirror, knowing that I was the one driving him home from school that day. When we arrived safely at home, I parked back into the garage, and shouted, “We did it!” I pulled out my trusty Buckle Bopper, and thanked Steph to myself for enabling me to do this today. I gingerly unbuckled his seatbelt, with once again, his little fingers making an effort to help his momma. As we walked into the house, I did a little dance, and my son shouted for his daddy, exclaiming how we went on an adventure. My husband walks in and asks, “Oh, you left to get him?” It was a moment to either sigh or chuckle; I chose the latter. 

Many parents accomplish little tasks like this, and think nothing of it. They may hurry to get it over with like a chore, or just go through the motions without awareness each day. I yearned for this day for so long, and at times thought to myself that it would never happen. I have not only gained further independence and self confidence, but an extra appreciation for the little things in life. It is the small feats in life like this, which make me more content than anything in the world. And yes, I will be talking about it for weeks to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handcycle Training for Disney Princess 5k, Day 1

A Differently-Abled Momma

"How I Wasted My Education"