Mind the Gap

Mind the Gap

Miss Aurora has just turned seven months old. She has the sweetest disposition, is always smiling, and is very easygoing. She is also a little powerhouse. For example, she has been crawling for about one month now, can pull herself to a standing position, and shouts "mama" when she wants to explore.   People ask me, "Isn't she young to be doing all of these milestones?" I have been finding myself responding with answers like, "Yep! Her brothers keep her motivated, and she wants to keep up with them!" Or, "She wants to do what her older brothers are doing, and be just like them." Then, I listened to myself. Why was I giving my sons credit, when this little girl was doing all of the work? Granted, my two boys are the best cheerleaders, and motivate her beyond words, but it is her determination that has gotten her thus far.

After reading the coverage on this summer's Olympics, I vow that I will always give my daughter credit for her accomplishments. I read in dismay how husbands of female athletes are receiving the credit for their wives' successes. They were stated as being "responsible" for the medals won by the women, and certainly took the focus off of these talented and hard-working women.

In addition, when a female athlete had just broken a record, a male athlete took the headline with winning a silver medal. Needless to say, the sexism has set a spark within me. Therefore, I am not going to place my infant athlete, into the same category of determined ladies who do not receive the recognition they deserve.

My two boys are beyond amazing with their kindness and gentle, encouraging ways, but this is Aurora's doing. She definitely adores and emulates them, but it is her, and her alone who has accomplished these endeavors. She has made up her mind that she is going to crawl as fast as the boys walk, and pull herself up to the toy piano, so she can stand and bang out a tune like a rockstar.

She will face a lifetime of inequalities, so I will not set her up now, as to not having her own capabilities. As her fellow female counterpart in this household, I must be the one to show her that women deserve all of the credit on their own, for their perseverance and talent. Unfortunately, sexism starts now. But I somehow forsee this tough cookie breaking down a few barriers, and in the future, helping close this existing gender gap.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handcycle Training for Disney Princess 5k, Day 1

A Differently-Abled Momma

"How I Wasted My Education"