Why Having Your Phone Take The Plunge Makes You A Better Parent

 It is has been two and a half weeks since my cell phone took a dive into the toilet. Actually, my fourteen month old daughter took it unbeknownst to me, and decided to play with it in the toilet like a cat. Then, she proceeded to let it sink to the bottom of its final porcelain resting place. Within the one hundred twenty seconds it took for me to administer the antibiotics for strep throat for my son and I, that little nugget had managed to sink my cellular device. She flushed down my memories and contacts, and with it, a new freedom.

I did not possess one single ounce of anger or frustration. (I could never be mad at that face, anyhow.) I just prayed that my photos from the past two years could somehow be restored. Who backs up their phone, right? Sigh. I envisioned myself without my phone for a couple of days. I did not have any upcoming phone conferences, so survival was possible.

For the first few hours to approximately a day, I would reach down into my empty pocket to text someone or want to take a photo of my children to preserve the memory. By day two, I had lost the urge to do my daily Facebook check or read my news off of that tiny screen. Not once did I hear, "Mommy, look at me!" I was already present and watching. There was no need to glance down at a text message, or look into why I was receiving a "ping" every other minute. Oh, those that group chats... I felt as if I were more tuned into each child, and truly able to give them my full attention.
Each child made great strides these past couple of weeks. My four year old started reading three letter words, my three year old can identify all of his shapes, as well as half of his letters and numbers, and my  fourteen month old said "purple," and something that resembles "caterpillar." We spend a great deal of time reading together, but these past weeks, I was able to spend more time reading to them individually, and focusing on their age appropriate skills. I couldn't help but wonder, was my lack of phone, contributing to these milestones?

My mom commented on how I seemed more relaxed without it. I definitely had felt less tense by not having to read nonsense posted on social media sites, as well as reading articles that made me cringe. I found myself reading tangible articles, and reveling in the smell and touch of paper, like I always have. National Geographic Travel is my new found love. I was able to check Facebook on a couple of occasions, but the broken iPad I own,  is slower than the dial-up AOL I had used back in high school. I  am glad that my other electronic device is as slow as molasses, because I think my mind had been craving a much needed break from social media and other nonsensical garbage. I think we all need this; whether you have children or not.

A couple of hours ago, I had received my new phone in the mail. While my contacts are still not restored, I can finally look up anything within an instant. Surprisingly, I have not touched it yet. Maybe it's like after Hurricane Sandy, where I still sat in the dark, even though the power was restored. I was so used to not having power for fourteen days, that it took time for me to register that I could finally turn the lights on. Perhaps it is similar in this case, where I am just used to not lugging a phone in my pocket. But deep down, I know I had a great couple of weeks without it, and I really didn't miss having the interruptions, where my attention was diverted from the important things in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handcycle Training for Disney Princess 5k, Day 1

A Differently-Abled Momma

"How I Wasted My Education"