Down In The Meadow

My handcycle training these past couple of months, have been better than I could ever have hoped for. After a few setbacks with getting the hitch and bike-rack installed, I was finally able to bring my handcycle out and about. Training on the roads around me became tedious and discouraging. The small, yet cumbersome inclines were depleting me physically and mentally. I was desperate to train on a flat surface, where I could boost my stamina and confidence. I felt that once I became adjusted to cycling on a flat surface, I could then return to my hilly abode with my improved strength. 

The first place that I desired to train most at was Sunken Meadow. It was my old cross country stomping grounds, where I had trained and raced at for the entire duration of my running years. It was nostalgic and bittersweet, as I crossed the bridge and smelled the salty marshlands. I headed straight for the boardwalk, that used to be our place for warming up before cross country races. I thought back to the times where we would all be in the exact same uniforms, pounding in unison at the wooden boards beneath us. We would pass other teams, feeling either intimidated, or not having a care in the world, as we discussed how we were going to braid our hair with ribbons of our school colors. Perhaps songs from "The Little Mermaid" or "Rent" were belted out a couple of times before we reached our coach. 

As I handcycled down the boardwalk, I finally took note the picturesque view that had always surrounding me. Why had I not noticed all of its beauty before? Going from one end of the boardwalk to the other, is three-quarters of a mile. The length of it was no longer daunting as I absorbed the serene surroundings that I was fortunate enough to call home. I had accomplished one mile at the Meadow on my first day there. It felt fantastic. It was hard, but I had wanted to go further, despite my arms feeling like gelatin. I was in complete euphoria, and for some reason that boardwalk was no longer intimidating. I had a newfound view of it now, and I accepted its challenges. I had found my niche again and embraced it. I was also utterly grateful that I could embrace it, and had the ability to accomplish a sport that I have longed to do for so many years. While I had probably taken my ability to run for granted, I was not going to take my handcycling for granted as well. This time I was going to cherish each time I turned that gear, and each mile that I put behind me. 

Each time that I got out there, it became easier and easier. One mile turned into a mile and a half, then two miles, and then onto two and a half miles. This past weekend I had accomplished three miles! My Disney Princess race in February is a 5k (3.1 miles), so phew! I am getting there! I have to keep up a mile pace of sixteen minutes to not be shooed off of the course. Presently, I am keeping up a pace of fourteen to sixteen minutes per mile. I am optimistic that my mile time will improve, because a Disney Princess cannot be DQ'd! 

In addition, for half of my workout on the boardwalk, the wind is also blustering in my face. It surely slows me down, but that too, I embrace. There will elements to face during my race, so I feel like I am preparing myself now for any windy conditions etc. 

I am looking forward to the upcoming months to become stronger and faster; both physically and mentally. I will continue to think of my fellow cross country and track girls, each time I hit the boardwalk, and appreciate all of the things that I have brought with me from years ago. Who knows, maybe I will even treat myself to a "funny-faced" pancake from IHOP next time, to relish in the memory of our after Sunken Meadow breakfast days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handcycle Training for Disney Princess 5k, Day 1

A Differently-Abled Momma

"How I Wasted My Education"